Monday, March 20, 2017

Up Close and Personal: Audrey Mestre

I recently come to a realization. If I am going to make a film opening for an entire movie, honoring a role model of mine, I should know everything about her in order to properly portray her through film. So, I watched "'No Limits'- The Audrey Mestre Documentary." But I want to make it clear that this is NOT a documentary. There is not much information on her childhood, so my storyboard plan is purely fictional. All scenes in the film opening are fictional scenes. But, I still believe it would be good for me to research more on her life so my actors can be one with Mestre.


No Limits - The Audrey Mestre Documentary:


As a teenager, Audrey Mestre suffered from scoliosis, but in those formative years, she discovered a passion for the ocean. She grew up in a family of diving and snorkeling enthusiasts in France. She moved to Mexico City as a teenager and later studied marine biology at a university in La Paz.  In the final stages of her Ph.D., Mestre was drawn to Cabo San Lucas, where she became infatuated with free diver Pipin Ferreras, a Cuban defector whose dives had put him at the forefront of the sport. The two became a couple, and Mestre followed the often elusive, often raucous Ferreras on his almost spiritual quest to push his limits underwater. Soon enough, Mestre moved from support team member to ardent free diver and then to a world-class competitor who outshone her husband, showing that women can do ANYTHING men can do (if not more). From the looks of the film, they were madly in love. Most people, before watching my film opening, know that she has died. But I still want to honor her. Gary Smith of Deep Magazine described the couple as "carried away by love-for risk and for each other - two of the world's nest free divers went to the limits of their sport, only one came back." Making this film will help the free diving community worship a beautiful, talented, and spirited legend of the sport. I do not want to focus on the tragic loss of her life, but the things she accomplished to inspire young girls everywhere.


“A lot of people get scared about things they don’t know or understand."

No comments:

Post a Comment