Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Freediving: Audrey Mestre vs Tanya Streeter

The sport of freediving dates back to as early as 4500 b.c. when people began diving down to collect shells and pearls from the sea floor.  The world of competitive freediving lifted many more divers to prominence in the nineties and continues to do so in the present day. As a female free diver in a predominately male dominated sport, I wanted to make my film about the woman who have inspired me to pursue my dreams. 

Two of the most influential women in the world of free diving are Audrey Mestre and Tanya Streeter. 


So, to honor the woman who have shaped my life, I decided to create a biographical fiction. A biographical fiction is a film that dramatizes the life of a non-fictional or historically-based person or people. Usually they show the life of a historical person and the main character's real name is used. I want to make sure people know that my film is based on a true story, so this will definitely be something I want to include in my film intro. 

At the moment, I cannot decide who I want the main character of my film to be...



Audrey Mestre was born in Saint-Denis, Seine-Saint-Denis, Île-de-France on August 11th, 1974. She began free diving at the age of 13 and scuba diving at 16. In 1999, she married the renowned free diver,  Francisco "Pipín" Ferreras and moved to Miami. This is convenient for me because I will be filming my film opening in the Florida Keys. So, luckily for me, the underwater setting will be realistic.  In 2000, Mestre broke the female world record for deepest free dive when she descended to 130 meters. On October 12th, 2002, she Mestre attempted to dive to a depth of 171 meters under the supervision of a dive team and her husband. Upon the time of planned accent, a problem arose with her lift bag and Mestre's 3.5 minute planned dive turned into a 8.5 minute dive. By the time her husband got her body to the service, she was pronounced dead. In 2002, Audrey Mestre was honored with entrance to the Woman Diver's Hall of Fame. 






Tanya Streeter, born Tanya Dailey, was born on January 10th, 1973 in Grand Cayman. She began free diving at 25 and almost immediately began breaking records. In 1998 she broke the women's no limits diving record of 370 feet and was entered into the Women Diver's Hall of Fame in 2000. In 2002, she broke the free diving world record of 525 feet, proving that a woman can out-compete a man in the sport of freediving.  In 2003, she broke the world record for deepest variable ballast dive at 400 feet. And, as of 2005, she hold the world record for "no limits apnea."






Although both woman are extremely accomplished, I think I will most likely base my biographical fiction on Audrey Mestre. She died for her passion and I think that will bring a compelling and emotional aspect to my film. I also feel like I am honoring her by basing my film on her life. In addition, he actress I am using looks much more like Mestre than Streeter.  










"Biographical Film." Wikipedia. 12 March 2017, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biographical_film
"Heuer People: Tanya Streeter." Watchuseek. 11 March 2017. http://forums.watchuseek.com/f25/        
        heuer-people-tanya-streeter-91736.html
"History of Freediving." Deeper Blue. 10 March 2017, https://www.deeperblue.com/history-of-                   freediving/
"'No Limits'- The Audrey Mestre Documentary" Vimeo. 10 March 2017. https://vimeo.com/70997378
"Tanya Streeter." Wikipedia. 12 March 2017, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanya_Streeter






















No comments:

Post a Comment